Pinpointing the best sewing machine for quilting is not an easy feat; what makes it difficult to pick any particular brand or model of a sewing machine for quilting is because of the numerous types that are available in the market. There are many factors which can influence your choice of the best sewing machine for quilting. Aside from your personal preferences, other factors include the type of stitches, unique features, and the price of the sewing machine as well as its warranty. Another deciding factor to take note of is the brand of the sewing machine for quilting. Brand names that are popular are naturally believed to be of high quality with excellent warranties.
Quilting is a distinct sewing skill that requires lots of creativity. A lot of people quilt by hand and many even prefer quilting by hand to quilting using a sewing machine designed for the craft. However, when you make use of a sewing machine for quilting, you will not only accelerate the process of creating a unique piece but will also not compromise its integrity.
When it comes to quilting, some machines can help you save a lot of time, while the finished product from other sewing machines for quilting can hardly stand shoulder-to-shoulder with hand-stitched quilts. That is why you need to be careful when seeking for the best sewing machine for quilting.
If you want to purchase a new sewing machine for quilting, one of the best ways to ascertain whether a particular brand or model is right for you or not is by test driving it when you visit the local dealers. A sewing machine for quilting is not the same as that of its regular counterpart.
To get the best out of a sewing machine designed for quilting, you need to take note of the following:
- Straight stitching is a must for quilting and piecing. The only way to find out if a sewing machine for quilting can make an impressively straight stitch is to take it for a test drive any time you visit the local stores. Use different threads of different thickness and weights to check for needle tension, adjustments and fine tuning. Also, check to see the positioning of the needle; the needles in some sewing machines are located further back and can affect precision when quilting.
- Does the sewing machine for quilting possess a good motor? This is because you wouldn’t want a situation whereby the motor overheats while you are machine quilting, which could be the case when the motor runs nonstop for hours.
- Are the feed dogs lowered or covered? The feed dogs should be out of the way or disengaged when you are working. The old versions have a cover used for protecting their feed dogs while the feed dogs of the contemporary sewing machine can be lowered using a button or a lever.
- The thread of a high-quality sewing machine for quilting should feed perfectly as well as possess an automatic thread cutter for top thread and bobbin. It is the automatic needle threader that makes it possible for you to make zigzag and straight stitches. This is a very significant feature that should be present in a well-designed quilting sewing machine. Another notable feature to take note of is the presence of a power foot.
5. Do check if the arm space is large enough to accommodate large quilts.
Your budget also plays a role in helping you decide on the best quilting sewing machine to purchase just ensure that you check out the features listed above. You can also go online, join forums about quilting and ask the members about any other features they think should be available on a sewing machine for quilting. The pros will help you out.